Armenian citizens are preparing to head to the polls on June 20 in an early parliamentary election. A record number of political forces are taking part in this highly contested election. Even though there is only one week before Election Day, not all of the parties have published their election programs. Taking into consideration the post-war situation, the polarization of society, the tense campaign period and the large number of undecided voters, EVN Report has translated and compiled certain thematic sections of the programs [foreign relations, defense and security, the economy, education and healthcare] of seven of those political forces in order of their position on the ballot. They include: the Armenian National Congress, Civil Contract Party, I’m Honored Alliance, Bright Armenia Party, Prosperous Armenia Party, Citizen’s Decision Party and Armenia Alliance.
Here we present the party and alliance programs on defense and security.
Armenian National Congress
Independent statehood: An independent state is the realization of the right to freedom and self-determination of every nation, which is formulated as a universal principle of self-determination of nations. An independent and democratic state is the means to ensure the perpetuity, development and prosperity of a nation, and the freedom and dignified life of the individual. The function of the state is to create the best internal and external conditions for the solution of these problems and to eliminate obstacles.
Armenian citizens are heading to the polls on June 20 in an early parliamentary election. Over 20 parties and alliances of parties are running. Here is the foreign policy section of the programs of seven of those political forces in order of their position on the ballot.Read more
The notion that there is a difference between national and state interests is a historically formed misunderstanding. In conditions of an independent state, the supreme national value is the constitutionally endowed, democratic, free and independent state. The primary subject of a state’s care is the citizen. Every issue pursued by the state in the internal or external spheres must stem from the interests of the people and citizens of Armenia and serve their needs.
Armenia’s good neighborly relations with its immediate neighbors – the Caucasus and the Middle East – are important for the comprehensive solution of the country’s security problem, as well as ensuring normal relations with other countries and international organizations. In terms of national security, just as the existence of state property of other countries in the territory of a country is unacceptable, so too is the provision of other kinds of levers to foreigners to intervene in the internal political life of the country inadmissible.
The formation of specialized military capabilities and specialized defense structures commensurate with external threats is imperative for an independent state, which in the modern world requires a highly developed economic system and large financial and economic resources. Therefore, as a guarantee of state independence and security, the role of a developing and competitive economy, systems ensuring social justice, integration into global and regional structures, and economic programs is growing.
Peace: The Republic of Armenia must be the guarantor of the security of its citizens. The state must ensure that security by creating a strong, efficient army with a balanced foreign policy aimed at engaging and being included in reliable systems of collective security and reducing external threats. Establishing good relations with neighboring countries, promoting regional and international peace is an important factor in ensuring Armenia’s security. The best conditions for Armenia’s economic development are the maintenance of peace in relations with neighboring countries, the establishment and strengthening of good-neighborly relations.
Civil Contract Party
The large-scale process of structural and substantive reforms of the Armed Forces of Armenia has started. The Republic of Armenia will gradually make a transition to a professional army, the structure of conscription and military service will significantly change.
In the future, the protection of parts of the state borders of Armenia which are currently being monitored by the Armed Forces of Armenia, will be carried out by the Border Troops and the army units will deal exclusively with issues of combat readiness and increasing combat efficiency.
The Defense Army will continue to protect the security and people of Artsakh. The Defense Army will transition to a solely professional service. The presence of peacekeeping forces of the Russian Federation in Artsakh and the Lachin Corridor is the most important guarantee of the security of Artsakh.
The constitutional mission of the Armed Forces of the Republic of Armenia is to ensure the defense, security, territorial integrity and inviolability of the borders of the Republic of Armenia. Therefore, our goal is to carry out continuous reforms in the Armed Forces that will ensure the fulfillment of this constitutional mission. At the same time, our reform strategy stipulates that all structures and components of the defense system, including the Armed Forces, must work in a coordinated and harmonious manner within the constitutional requirement of political neutrality.
We are developing this broader strategy of the defense structure taking into account the political, military-political, military-economic and military processes taking place in the world and the South Caucasus region. We have taken into account the changes in the nature of military operations, the art of operational tactics in the world. Taking this into consideration, we are reviewing the provisions of warfare, the methods of planning and conducting military operations, including the management system of the Armed Forces.
Our Armed Forces Reform Strategy is largely based on the experience of the 44-day war and analysis of the security environment post-November 9, 2021. We have defined the main guidelines, the issues of long-term planning and resources on which the development of the defense sector and the development of the fifth generation warfare toolkit, will be based.
The large-scale process of reform of the Armed Forces of Armenia includes structural and substantive changes. In the strategic perspective, the Republic of Armenia will gradually make a transition to a professional army, and the structure of conscription and military service will change significantly.
Taking into account the prospects for the development and improvement of military service, in the near future we will strive to reduce the terms of military service due to the growth of contract service. By doing so, we will stimulate both the material and the moral/psychological mechanisms of military service.
- We will increase the efficiency of the Armed Forces management system, in particular, we will introduce a unified automated system.
- Through the improvement of the organizational and personnel structure of the Armed Forces, we will increase efficiency, in particular, we will form combat formations with great mobility, which will be able to conduct active combat operations independently for extended periods of time.
- With the support of Russia, Armenia’s strategic ally, we will continue the process of acquiring new armaments and modernize the Army’s military arsenal. We will equip the Armed Forces with anti-aircraft defense systems, unmanned aerial vehicles, as well as other robotic and remote-controlled technology. We will also replenish the Armed Forces with high-precision long-range missiles, modern radio-electronics, intelligence and other means of communication.
- We will promote the development of a military-industrial complex, based on the research potential of Armenia and international experience. The policy of promoting investments already developed and establishing joint ventures will create a favorable environment for the development of the sphere. This policy is based on improving tax and administrative procedures, attracting foreign investment, as well as public, private and international cooperation.
- We will continue to improve the mechanisms for mobilization. In this sphere we have already modernized the necessary legislation and have developed the necessary strategic documents.
- The development of military education and science will be one of the key directions. We have already developed new mechanisms for the reorganization of the military education system, which aim to ensure the combination of research and education, including the continuity of military education through the introduction of lifelong learning tools.
- We will implement programs aimed at raising the level of morale and psychological training of the Armed Forces. The aim of these programs is to develop the necessary qualities of a soldier, to increase psychological stability, readiness for active combat operations, to improve the cadre of military psychologists, as well as to improve the nature of informational, cultural and recreational events in the army.
- Our focus has always been on increasing the social protection of servicemen and their families, thereby we will increase the material and social security guarantees of servicemen, improve the attractiveness of military service and increase the prestige of servicemen. The increase of servicemen’s salaries and other payments, housing programs, social and health programs of the servicemen bearing the brunt of the war will gain new momentum.
- We will improve democratic-civilian control over the Armed Forces, we will promote the discipline of the Armed Forces, and the protection of human rights in the Armed Forces.
I’m Honored Alliance
The aim of the Alliance is to create a security and defense capability, which will ensure the territorial integrity, inviolability of borders, protection of sovereignty and security of the country and its population.
To achieve this goal it is necessary to solve the following issues:
● Continuously increase the capabilities of the Armed Forces, including constant modernization of weapons and equipment, through the introduction of effective systems of military-political resources, strategic restraint, as well as through the development of a military-industrial complex;
● Constantly improve the combat readiness, professional knowledge and skills of the Armed Forces, improving combat skills of troops;
● Improve rearguard support, including the creation of necessary new infrastructure, accurate planning of logistics resources through their effective management and modernization;
● Develop skills to carry out asymmetric special operations, to hold large-scale combat operations by conventional means, to strike at “appropriate distances,” to conduct combat operations in a decentralized manner;
● Expand and develop the capabilities and military-technical resources of the border guard service;
● Implement and improve border protection and the unified automated control systems for fighting, minimizing the human factor in technical matters;
● Deepen society-army dialogue, introduce solutions for alternative military service, develop the capacity of the active reserves and contract service, make the processes of conscription, mobilization and recruitment of volunteers proactive;
● Develop a military-strategic alliance with partner countries, mutually strengthening the legal and practical bases of military-political obligations;
● Develop and strengthen defense capabilities in non-traditional areas (including in cyberspace, in the information-propaganda environment, anti-terrorism, etc.).
To solve the above mentioned problems:
● It is necessary to create a security-defense system, where it will be possible to solve the maximum number of problems with limited resources, including manpower;
● It is necessary to use a flexible system, in which the ratio and distribution of conscripts and contract servicemen will be such that, on the one hand, the reduction of the number of conscripts will not threaten the protection of the borders and the combat effectiveness of the army and on the other hand, conscripts will not be deprived of the opportunity to regularly accumulate combat experience;
● It is necessary to develop human capital by comprehensive means so that the share of highly educated, mentally and physically prepared servicemen in the army, both among soldiers and officers, gradually increases;
● Develop and improve the knowledge, skills, and capacity for contract servicemen; introduce effective mechanisms to ensure official and positional promotion and social guarantees to make military service a more attractive profession;
● Review military deferment;
● Introduce effective mechanisms for the inclusion of persons with disabilities, as well as women, in military service so they can conduct non-combat service;
● Implement regular drills for reservists to improve combat skills;
● Great attention should be paid to the socioeconomic priorities of servicemen and their families, regularly reviewing the salaries of servicemen;
● Management of personnel must be guided by the principle of merit and high educational standards.
The main principles in the development and modernization of the Armed Forces are:
● Serving in the army is not a forced occupation or merely a responsibility, but an honorable job, profession, a duty to the homeland;
● The army is a healthy environment for the socialization, development of an individual and to gain new skills;
● The soldier, and especially the officer, is a mirror of society;
● The Armed Forces continue to remain the main guarantor of the Armenian people’s security and must be at the center of society’s attention;
● The army forges a society’s leadership, innovation, progress and inclusion;
● The development and modernization of the Armed Forces is not a goal, but a necessity.
Bright Armenia Party
A dignified human life is the highest value; guaranteeing and ensuring it is the supreme responsibility of society and the state. For the effective realization of this responsibility, it is necessary to create an environment that will exclude any unpunished encroachment that threatens the security of the individual, society and the state. In order to create such a security environment, the Bright Armenia Party considers the quantity and quality of the number of people as an irreplaceable resource which will serve as the necessary and sufficient resistance to external and internal challenges. Only by preserving and constantly developing this resource can it be possible to ensure the survival of the nation and society. The Bright Armenia Party considers important the concept of a three-tier security environment, the goal of which is to guarantee and ensure the security of the people, society and the state.
The Basics of Security
When developing the security system of the Republic of Armenia, the Bright Armenia Party’s position is based on the following factors:
1. The wars unleashed against Armenia will not be about resolving territorial disputes. They will be to eliminate the Republic of Armenia as an independent entity and annihilate the Armenian people.
2. Taking into consideration the small size of the Republic of Armenia, limited resources, no access to the sea and the superiority of the adversary in terms of numbers, it will be impossible for Armenia to continue to wage an extended war and succeed.
3. In times of relative peace, Armenia should use asymmetric-hybrid methods of struggle against its opponents to prevent possible military operations against the Republic of Armenia.
4. A priority to guarantee Armenia’s security is to deepen security cooperation with strategic partners and create new possibilities for military cooperation.
5. For lasting security and progressive development, it is important that Armenia be the state of all Armenians in the world. It is a priority to create opportunities and motivation for every citizen of the Republic of Armenia and for every Armenian living in the world to exert their whole potential in the service of the security and development of Armenia.
6. The organization and realization of education, science, and infrastructure will have the aim of preparing a society and an economy that is capable of confronting today’s and tomorrow’s seen and unseen challenges.
7. Efficient governance, the implementation of effective systems of mutual control and oversight in state bodies is seen as an important component for the security and continual development of the Republic of Armenia.
8. The Republic of Armenia must undertake the necessary steps to ensure that those who are bearers of the ideology of a people-centered society become the honest partner and guarantor of the security of the Republic of Armenia, the people of Armenia and of the Diaspora.
The Army and Institutional Security Bodies
To form a dynamically developing and improving Armed Forces and other institutional security bodies to guarantee the security and longevity of the Armenian nation and of Armenian statehood and which are capable of confronting all possible external and internal military and security challenges, securing national dignity.
The Republic of Armenia’s Armed Forces guarantee the defense, security, territorial integrity and the inviolability of the borders of the Republic of Armenia.
The problems that need to be immediately resolved in the Armed Forces are:
-The development and effective implementation of a new military doctrine of the Republic of Armenia;
-Introduction of a unified system of troops and intelligence management in the Armed Forces;
-Elevating the attractiveness of military service, inclusion of intellectual cadres, significant improvement in the quality of education;
-Effective management of personnel policy;
-Review and implement development programs including physical and intellectual training of servicemen;
-Designing reforms in the Armed Forces based on military science and scientific research.
-Qualitative changes in the conduct of military exercises;
-Strengthening the capabilities of military intelligence agencies and clarification of their mission;
-Clarification of the regime of secrecy and increasing responsibility;
-Establishing mechanisms and implementing/reforming the military operations of the reserves and volunteers;
-Furnishing military positions, improving supply routes;
-Defining weapons replenishment plans based on the military priorities of the Republic of Armenia;
-Development of strategy for a new military-industry concept, clarification of resources for the development of the sector, designing a road map, defining responsibilities for the effectiveness of deadlines and steps;
– Sharp tightening of criminal liability for war crimes.
Armed Forces Development Concept
Stemming from the challenges facing the Republic of Armenia and the need for immediate solutions, the Bright Armenia Party suggests the following concept for the development of the Republic of Armenia’s Armed Forces.
The Armed Forces of the Republic of Armenia consists of the following types of service:
– Professional military service
– Military intelligence and analytical division
– Mandatory military service
– Special professional service
– Active reserves
Professional Military Service
Based on the assertion that only with qualitative superiority can the Republic of Armenia’s Armed Forces be able to gain an advantage over the adversary, increasing the attractiveness of military service with the aim of involving the nation’s best in the Armed Forces is a priority. To achieve this goal, introduce social guarantees, increase the public prestige of the serviceman, as well as include principles of military service in the school curriculum and establish smooth mechanisms for the transition from compulsory military service to professional military service.
The following social guarantees are offered for servicemen:
– Providing quality medical insurance for family members;
– Providing scholarships for family members;
– After completion of military service, ensuring the right of priority appointment in positions requiring management skills in the state system;
– Introduction of accumulative mortgage system. The participants of this system are the servicemen who complete their contract military service and are included in the register of participants;
– Providing benefits for those who graduate with honors from military educational institutions;
– Increase in military pensions;
– Defining clear criteria for awarding military orders (medals) and accompanying honorariums;
– Consistent and regular increase in the salaries of servicemen.
Military Intelligence and Analytical Service
Reorganizing the intelligence, analytical, research, forecasting and planning center in the Armed Forces and providing it with proper tools is a priority in order to have a security system ready for the challenges of the 21st century.
Mandatory Military Service
Male citizens of the Republic of Armenia who have reached the age of 18 are drafted into the Armed Forces.
The main principles of military service are:
– contribute to the development of servicemen;
– deepen the patriotic knowledge of servicemen;
– encourage the involvement of conscripts in professional units, making the best use of their professional skills;
Conscripts will perform their service in the reserve/training military units.
Special Professional Units
Male citizens of the Republic of Armenia who have reached the age of 18 and who have been admitted to accredited universities of the Republic of Armenia may be professionally involved in special professional subdivisions of the service, if they meet the requirements set by the authorized body. These citizens continue their education through the joint educational program of the RA Ministry of Defense and RA accredited higher educational institutions in special national research centers. Military training is a mandatory component of the program.
The purpose of this program is to promote the application of advanced technologies in the Armed Forces of the Republic of Armenia, the latest scientific and technical achievements, as well as to create a platform for the scientific development and continuous development of young scientists.
Citizens who have completed compulsory military service are enlisted in the reserves and are required to participate in military exercises once or twice a year. Citizens included in the reserve can be included in the active reserve on a voluntary basis. Citizens involved in active reserves participate in mobilizations and, if necessary, are involved in military assignments. The exercises are carried out in special training military units. During this period, citizens are remunerated and able to keep their jobs and salary.
Preliminary Military Training at Schools
Citizens of Armenia who have reached the age of 15 must take part in summer-winter one-month military camps, where they will learn self-defense, martial arts, first aid, civil defense, strategy, use of weapons, cyber security, etc. The camps must be equipped with the necessary armaments and military equipment.
Taking into account that the existing structures for the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict have failed as a result of aggression by Azerbaijan and Turkey’s use of force in gross violation of international law, most of the territories of the Artsakh Republic have been occupied, war crimes against humanity have been committed, there is an immediate need to reevaluate the strategy for the resolution of the Karabakh conflict.
The main guarantee for the solution of the Artsakh issue and the security of the Republic of Armenia is a strong economy (under the rule of law) and an educated, well-developed society, only then can Armenia take a more confident, strong position in the field of diplomacy and, in case and when necessary, in the resumption of hostilities.
At the same time, we intend to increase our defense and other military capabilities, restoring the distorted regional military balance. The political and economic development of Artsakh must become a top priority of the Republic of Armenia.
We support the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs aimed at a just and peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
The solution to the Artsakh issue is one: the implementation of the Declaration of Independence of the Republic of Armenia adopted on August 23, 1990, that is, Artsakh UNIFIES with the Motherland, the Republic of Armenia, on the basis of self-determination.
– A strong Armenia is the guarantee of a pro-Armenian solution to the Artsakh conflict.
– Exercising the right of the people of Artsakh to self-determination through “Independence-Unification” or “Unification.”
– Restoration of the work of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs and the proper representation of Artsakh’s interests.
– Reorganization of the Republic of Armenia and Republic of Artsakh’s Armed Forces and the development of military industrial complex.
– Actively prepare to prevent possible attacks by the adversary, to resist them, to counterattack.
– Restoration of the territorial integrity of the Republic of Artsakh.
– Harmonization of the foreign policies of the Artsakh Republic and the Republic of Armenia.
– Implementation of international legal instruments necessary for the realization of the right of the people of Artsakh to self-determination and for the pro-Armenian settlement of the Artsakh conflict.
– Take the necessary steps to adopt pro-Armenian resolutions in competent international organizations and assemblies.
– Implementation of necessary legal, judicial, scientific measures aimed at forming a pro-Armenian position on Artsakh globally among influential states and organizations.
– Development of international legal (judicial) processes against the anti-Armenian policy pursued by Azerbaijan.
– Initiation of criminal proceedings at the international and national levels on the basis of war crimes committed by the military-political leadership of Azerbaijan and individual servicemen.
– Initiation of international legal (judicial) proceedings against Azerbaijan and Turkey for the bringing of mercenaries during the aggression against Artsakh.
– Initiation of international legal (judicial) proceedings against Azerbaijan and Turkey on the basis of financing of terrorism.
– Filing lawsuits against Azerbaijan and Turkey in the European Court of Human Rights for the violation of human rights, for torture, for the destruction of private property and deprivation of private property, imprisonment of civilians, prisoners of war and holding hostages.
Prosperous Armenia Party (PAB)
Our main goal is to ensure the security of the people of Artsakh, the international recognition of Artsakh and restoring the territorial integrity of the former Nagorno Karabakh Autonomous Oblast. The Karabakh conflict must be resolved exclusively through peaceful negotiations.
It is urgent to develop a comprehensive program for the restoration and re-arming of the Armed Forces. In accordance with the developed state program, the Armed Forces of the Republic of Armenia should be replenished with the latest generation weapons and ammunition in a short period of time. A professional army should be formed in the shortest possible time. In particular, the introduction of innovative technologies and efficient operation in the Republic of Armenia’s Armed Forces should become the number one priority and goal. Before achieving this, carry out structural modernization of the staff, and ensure military service on the front line only by experienced contract servicemen.
Security and Border Communities
The security and development of border communities must be one of the main priorities of the state. In the coming two years, construction of all necessary infrastructure must be completed in those communities. Extensive privileges should be provided to border and frontier communities.
Citizen’s Decision Social-Democratic Party
Participation, Innovation, Self-sufficiency
The 2020 Artsakh War raised serious issues of Armenia’s defense capacity, which are connected with legal, institutional, professional, military-technical, financial and organizational gaps.
During the 2020 war, Armenia’s Armed Forces suffered heavy losses, for objective reasons, they were not able to fully fulfill the tasks set before them. In fact, the incompatibility of the Armed Forces with the requirements and challenges of modern warfare was proven in practice. To restore the losses, it is necessary to develop and implement a complex, comprehensive and effective policy.
In this sense, we intend to examine and analyze the causes, course and consequences of the war through a mechanism that enjoys public trust; then develop a reform plan and implement it.
We proceed from the fact that in the near future, with its military, financial, and demographic indicators, Armenia will succumb to its potential adversaries – Azerbaijan and Turkey. Therefore, our strategy should be to eliminate the danger of war as much as possible through diplomacy, and to put the policy of “unacceptable damage” as a military task. In other words, conduct a policy of non-aggression, but to keep that danger visible to the adversaries, that the harm caused by our actions in the event of aggression will outweigh the benefits they have gained even in the event of a victory in war. In this regard, it is necessary to transition the Republic of Armenia’s Armed Forces from a purely defensive dimension, and endow it with a toolkit for offensive operations.
Our motto in this sphere will be the “citizen-defense-economy” trinity.
In achieving this goal, we will be guided by demographic and geographical inclusivity and flexibility, on the principles of innovation, maximum self-sufficiency, and technical excellence. The Armed Forces must pull out of the USSR-Russian Federation (RF) model of army-building, develop and implement their own unique army-building model, guided by existing challenges, their own experience, and by the principle that we can be subjected to aggression and fight against several adversaries on two or more fronts.
This means that:
-Every citizen has a role to play in the structure and defense strategy in the current army, the reserves, the national guard and the state takes care of the continuous development of their abilities and professional knowledge.
-The role of mobilization resources in the defense of the country is increased and strongly emphasized. The institute of military commissars is dissolved, and an institute of reservists is established. This envisages the organization of active mobilizations and exercises throughout the year, with the state legislating the protection of the social security of reservists. Reservists must be assured that in case of mobilization, they will not lose their jobs, their business will not be impacted, and that the state will ensure the fulfillment of their loan obligations.
-The whole territory of the country, from the border areas to the central regions, are equipped and organized in such a way as to be able to carry out effective defense in case of aggression/incursion by the adversary at any depth, thereby weakening the blow of the attack. The state consistently implements this policy and provides regular reports. The border areas are furnished with concealed bases, tunnels and barriers. Engineering troops have a special status and strategic importance.
– Through structural and conceptual changes, flexibility, speed, and unity in the process of managing troops are increased.
– Giving preference to local scientific resources, but not excluding foreign technologies, the Armed Forces must be equipped with modern weapons, military technology, logistics and automated control systems. The state of the army should be monitored through the systematic work of military experts, sociologists, psychologists and other specialists, and innovative development solutions should be offered.
-Due to geographical conditions, Armenia can not rely on foreign supplies of weapons, equipment, fuel, medicine, food and other necessary items. Therefore, during martial law, the necessary resources are stockpiled in advance, supplemented as much as possible by cooperation with local producers and suppliers.
In the initial phase, we will focus on modern strategic and operational-tactical unmanned aerial vehicles, the creation of military aviation, automatic control systems, missiles, multiple rocket launchers. By acquiring artillery, aircraft, anti-aircraft missile systems, state-of-the-art air defense systems, we will guarantee the supremacy of our own air force. A special task will be set for the formation of mobile strike units and a new fleet.
Taking into account the financial constraints of the Republic of Armenia, in order to obtain the above, we consider it necessary to:
● study international military-industrial proposals/models, deepen flexible relations with partners, while increasing the role and significance of the military-industrial system, involving not only military institutions, but also large enterprises and private companies;
● promote the development of a military industrial complex, by equipping it with highly qualified specialists, focusing not only on acquiring foreign made arms, but on modern local production;
● establish a separate flexible system for the acquisition, processing and research of ammunition, military production, dual-use goods;
● in the process of arms diversification, take into account that the personnel possess knowledge mostly about the weapons of USSR-RF production; when assessing the cost-effectiveness, take into account the costs of training and education.
Taking into account the number of combat personnel of the Republic of Armenia’s Armed Forces, it is necessary:
● adopt and amend legislation to bring it in line with modern requirements;
● raise the morale of officers and rank-and-file soldiers, the capabilities of the Armed Forces, including also non-governmental organizations, i.e. military clubs;
● revise internal regulations to make them more relevant and applicable;
● study and introduce the system of public associations in the field of defense, civil defense;
● establish a unified civil defense and security system;
● emphasize the direction of involving professional sergeants;
● involve our compatriots born abroad who have served in the military there, envisage legislative mechanisms that will allow them to serve in the Republic of Armenia’s Armed Forces on an equal basis, including also how to train reservists.
One of the important components of the security of the Republic of Armenia is the issue of protection of military positions (bases) in conditions of direct contact with the adversary, combat and logistical support of the personnel.
In that sense, we consider it very necessary to:
● acquire signal and video surveillance systems for the purpose of rapid detection and destruction of subversive reconnaissance groups;
● create rapid reaction units, special operations units, equipping them with modern weapons and military equipment;
● cooperate with road construction companies, improve the road network, creating favorable conditions for the movement of the Armed Forces;
● explore the possibility of providing rifles to each family in border villages with control and oversight by the police.
From the point of view of developing a military-industrial complex, we find the following necessary:
● exempt persons and military-industrial enterprises fulfilling orders for security needs of the Defense Ministry from VAT, customs duties, profit tax and turnover tax;
● establish a tax holiday regime for those involved in military-applied research;
● review public procurement procedures, create favorable competitive conditions for participating local companies;
● encourage the introduction of dual-purpose power lines;
● establish income tax refunds on purchases of locally produced weapons and ammunition;
● establish an effective system for addressing the country’s security concerns.
We will pay special attention to the quality and attractiveness of military education. By carrying out structural and program reforms in military educational institutions, by involving professional staff and increasing financial resources, we will increase the quality of military education, emphasizing the provision of higher education in the homeland for officers.
From the point of view of strengthening the moral and psychological atmosphere, we are introducing a new code, a new agenda and new social guarantees by professional groups. The goals of these changes are to achieve “the army – a new environment for education” among civil servants; “the army is an environment of brotherhood;” “the army is an environment of mutual aid and care.” Pay special attention to the institutions of information and counter-information struggle.
1. We opt for a stable and coherent foreign policy, effective regional cooperation, establishment and development of decent relations with all the neighboring states.
2. Congruent with the new geopolitical challenges, new models of establishing cooperation, mutual aid, and regional peace will be formed with ally countries pursuing interests in the region.
3. We renounce the psychology of defeat, being convinced that Armenia , together with its allies, can develop a new regional agenda and protect its interests.
4. Supporting the idea of sustainable peace, open communications and frontiers in the South Caucasus, we are strongly committed to finding reasonable and mutually beneficial solutions with the allies, which derive from our national and state interest.
5. We will expand the scope of the universal recognition and condemnation of the Armenian Genocide, we will pursue the execution of imperishable rights of the Armenian people – as a precondition for preventing new genocides, as a guarantee for security of future generations and as an earnest of lasting and dignified peace in the region .
6. Armenia will restart relations with the Russian Federation in all directions, and, consistent with the regional challenges, will shape new development paths.
7. We will intensify and expand strategic cooperation with the Republic of Georgia – as an immediate neighbor and a country with common geopolitical interests. Georgia is a friendly country, where Javakheti Armenians fully exercise their rights to preserve national identity and to develop.
8. Cooperation and partnership with Iran will be reinforced and redefined.
9. Cooperation with China will be moved towards a new quality level, including in the context of regional collaboration.
10. We will continue fully performing the commitments undertaken by Armenia within the UN, CIS, EAEU, CSTO, OSCE, CoE, EU and other international organizations and exercise all the opportunities granted under such membership.
11. We will develop constructive and effective bilateral cooperation with the USA and the countries of the European Union. In order to promote peace and protect our national interests, we will foster dialogue and mutually beneficial foreign policy with India, countries of the Near East, Canada, South America, Japan and other countries.
Consequences of the 44-Day War
12. We will immediately take measures to return the captives of the 44-day war and clarify the data on the deceased and missing.
13. We will struggle for the international recognition of the Turkish-Azerbaijani aggression and of the losses inflicted on the Armenian people, for the fair settlement of the Artsakh conflict through a new stage of peaceful negotiations. We will make all the efforts to resume the negotiation process under the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs, aimed at restoring the territory of Artsakh based on the right to self determination, and ensuring a guaranteed and secure land communication with the Republic of Armenia.
14. We will immediately initiate the mitigation of the heavy consequences caused by the Turkish-Azerbaijani aggression . We will establish new and appropriate conditions for the recovery of the wounded persons and turn the Government-owned summer houses within Kond district into a modern rehabilitation center. We will provide accommodation for all the refugees, arrange proper living conditions for them and, to the extent possible, organize their return to their former places of residence. Necessary financial aid will be provided to the families of all the deceased and wounded.
15. Problems that occurred as a result of the war, like freight transportation, transport routes, agricultural activities, as well as security and socio-economic problems derived from the loss of stable income, will be urgently resolved.
16. The issues of preserving the Armenian historical, cultural and religious heritage will become the priorities of cooperation between Armenia and international organizations.
New Agenda for Regional Cooperation
17. Armenia can become a cross point for regional communications, a transit country linking the Black Sea and the Gulf countries, as well as the reestablished new Silk Road.
18. At this development stage, turning Armenia into a transit country will become one of the major achievements . There is a chance to merge into the North-South Corridor, considering the fact that this concept is intensively promoted by our friendly countries and strategic partners.
19. We will work with renewed vigor on developing the Georgia-Armenia-Iran energy platform, by ensuring that the excess energy produced in Armenia is exported to the countries of the region.
20. The construction of Kajaznuni Tunnel and the southern segment of the North-South Road will have strategic significance. We contemplate this in the context of a free economic zone at the border with Iran and in terms of lran-EAEU relations. Such infrastructural solutions will promote motor vehicle freight transportation between the Gulf and the Black Sea ports.
21. We will advance the initiative to create new opportunities for the development of regional communication infrastructures; to construct new Georgia-Armenia-Iran communication routes and to expand the existing ones. It will enhance the opportunities for development in information technologies and innovations within the participant countries and promote the establishment of a new digital platform for cooperation in the region.
22. We will support those communication development projects which boost trade flow in the region and serve the Armenian national and state interests, for instance, the construction of the tunnel between Russia and Georgia. We must facilitate transport communication between Georgia and Abkhazia.
23. The option of turning Armenia into a regional airline hub for passenger transits from Europe to Asian countries, such as for instance India or China, or vice versa, will be contemplated. Armenia can become an important base for Arab airlines carrying out flights to the third countries. All the best endeavors will be used, and the Agreement on Air Transportation with the EU will be finally ratified. Consideration will be given to the possibility of having a national carrier.
24. All these concepts should necessarily be linked with China’s “One Belt, One Road” initiative on global cooperation and infrastructure development.
25. We will intensify active trade and economic relations with Arabic countries, such as UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, as well as Egypt, Syria and Iraq.
26.We will undertake specific actions to ensure the exercise of Armenia’s rights deriving from a landlocked country status.
Safe and Stable Country
27. In order to prevent the penetration and influence of foreign anti-national forces and to ensure military, economic, information, environmental and energy security, along with the intention of coordinated fight against cybercrime, we will modernize the country’s state security system (the Armed Forces, the Security Council, civil defense and law enforcement systems).
28. We will adopt and implement a new national security strategy, as well as a new military doctrine, and new concepts for the development of the military industry system and the idea of NATION-ARMY. The issue of protecting national values will be included in the National Security Strategy as a key component.
29. We will modernize the Armed Forces through a modern and collaborative defense policy, create properly structured armed forces ready to carry out battle tasks and ensure the security of Armenia and Artsakh, their territorial integrity, protection and inviolability of borders.
30. Priority will be given to the swift equipping of settlements and engineering structures in the territories of Armenia and Artsakh, technological equipping of military and non-military strategic deterrence capacities, combined with the high mobility personnel trained based on modern experience.
31. We will reform the law enforcement system ensuring public order and internal security, by depoliticizing it and directing it towards the primary task of combating crime.
32. We will eliminate the current exaggerated system of law enforcement agencies that is common for a police-driven state, turning most of the security services toward the role of solving the country’s defense issues.
33. We will establish a more effective government structure and public administration system, on the basis of public and professional consultations. The executive branch will become fully accountable to the people’s representative bodies at the state and local levels.
34. We will restore the Ministries of Agriculture and Culture as a matter of priority.
35. We will induce new qualities to public governance and public service, based on high-level perception of statehood, responsibility, professionalism and proper remuneration.
36. We will form new agendas for cooperation and dialogue between Armenia and the Diaspora, review restrictions on the involvement of persons with dual citizenship in the RA state administration and introduce new mechanisms for such cooperation.
37. Based on the rule of law principle, we will introduce new administrative and pre-trial structures which ensure the direct implementation of fundamental human rights.
38. We will exclude the pressure of political authorities upon the judicial system and abolish the vicious practice of depriving a person of liberty for political reasons.
39. We will guarantee the independence of the investigative bodies and the Prosecutor’s Office from the executive branch.
40. The powers between the President, the National Assembly and the Government will be redistributed through constitutional reforms. The powers and self-responsibility of a parliamentarian and a government official will be made equal and effective.
41. We will facilitate the performance of participative and direct democracy institutions (referendums, nationwide polls, etc.), as an effective measure of expressing the peoples’ will.
42. The unified “authorities-opposition” political system will be improved, providing real influence levers and defining public responsibility for the political opposition in terms of controlling, restraining the authorities and carrying out a tangible anti-corruption fight.
[Solidarity] and Engagement of All-Armenian Potential
43. We will overcome the internal national disruption by restoring the vital atmosphere of social cohesion and dialogue in the country.
44. We will implement programs, together with charity funds and humanitarian organizations, for the socialization, training and providing jobs for the people injured during the war and those with limited abilities, thus solving their employment issues.
45. Ensuring accessibility and full social integration for the people with disabilities will be fully systemized, with clear objectives and timetable .
46. We will implement policies in spiritual, educational, youth, sports, cultural, information and economic areas for engaging the all-Armenian potential as the basis for overcoming the value crisis in the society, strengthening the foundations of statehood and national security, and forging a citizen.
47. In order to consolidate the All-Armenian potential, a comprehensive investment program will be implemented aimed at preserving and growing the national wealth, capitalizing on economic, social and environmental resources, and developing Armenia economically.
48. Prevention of emigration and proper planning of immigration, as well as stimulation of birth rate in specific rural settlements, and rapid reduction of the mortality rate, will become the long-term objectives of the demographic policy.
49. After reconsidering the existing social assistance programs and introduction of new programmatic approaches, birth of the next child in the family will become a new and real opportunity for development and strengthening in the own country.
50. Women’s potential will be effectively used in various spheres of social life. A national mechanism will be adopted for achieving balanced representation of women at all levels of government.
51. The Armenian Apostolic Church will be granted opportunities based on its exceptional status to accomplish its vital mission of building our spiritual life and preserving the nation.
52. Special targeted programs will be implemented focused on repatriation of our compatriots, especially of highly qualified specialists.
53. We will create a unified information field for Armenia and the Diaspora, which will provide reliable exchange of information.
54. Confidence in the Hayastan All-Armenian Fund will be restored, excluding the non-statutory use of the Fund’s means.
55. Without prejudice to the freedom of speech and expression, new structures will be introduced which will prevent the constant circulation of false news, manipulative schemes of public opinion, personalized or intra-national hostility, hate speech, discreditation and humiliation of state institutions.